Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Review: "Getting Rid of Matthew" Jane Fallon


I picked up this book from my library because I had read "Got You Back" (also by Jane Fallon) and was interested in reading her previous bestselling novel. I had also heard rumours that Jennifer Anniston's production company, Plan B, had optioned this novel, so I figured that it must be something worth reading!

Now I liked "Got You Back" but I loved "Getting Rid of Matthew". This was chick lit at its finest! Helen, our main character, is shocked when her married lover of four years leaves his wife and daughters and shows up on the doorstep of her dingy basement apartment for good! Although she is supposed to be happy about this sudden turns of events in her favour, she actually finds that she is less than thrilled with these new arrangements. Suddenly all of the things that she had found that thrilled her about Matthew are turning her off of him, and she realizes that she wants nothing but her old life back and a chance to start fresh!

Helen tries to turn Matthew off of her, but when that fails, she orchestrates a plan to get Matthew and his sife, Sophie, back together. Little does she realize that she will grow to genuinely like Sophie in the process, not to mention the fact that she will fall in love along the way with a man with a shocking connection to Matthew!

I loved, loved, loved this book. Jane Fallon's debut novel reminded me of Jill Mansell's work, with lovable characters who seem to get themselves further and further into a mess that they have created, with no forseeable way out. The plot was hilarious yet heartwarming, and the ending made me want more. I definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys chick-lit without the frothiness. This would make a fabulous summer read!

No comments:

Post a Comment