Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Review: "The Almost Archer Sisters" Lisa Gabriele


I've had "The Almost Archer Sisters" on hold at my local library for a long time now but thankfully it was well worth the wait! The story follows Peachy and Beth, half-sisters who have weathered their mother's suicide together when they were children and who have gone on to lead very different lives. Beth is a hot-shot fashion advisor with her own cable TV show in New York and Peachy married the first guy she slept with (who also happened to be one of Beth's many exes) and had two children with him- one of whom suffers from seizures. When Beth comes home for a visit and Peachy finds her sister having sex with her husband, she is devastated and leaves her husband, Beau, her hippy (and very lovable!) father Lou and Beth in charge of her two boys while she takes some time out for herself in New York. While Peachy contemplates the choices she's made in life, along with the choices that her sister has made she realizes some hard yet comforting truths about herself.

It will come as no surprise to anyone who reads my blog that I loved this book. I love intelligent women's fiction and this was no exception; I had a hard time putting it down to make dinner or put the kids to bed (Shhhh! Mommy's reading! LOL). The characters were all flawed in some way making them both real and lovable. I liked them all- I even felt some sympathy for Beth the husband-stealer. I encourage anyone who has ever found themselves lost in some good chick lit to pick up a copy of this one- you won't regret it!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like an interesting book. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete