Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy 2012 and New Year's Goals!

Happy New Year to everyone! I'm sending positive 2012ish thoughts your way right now. :)

2011 was a good year for me, in general. Nothing crazy awesome happened, but nothing particularly bad happened either. It was just a good year. I'm especially proud of the fact that I did manage to accomplish some long-term goals in 2011. In February I started exercising and watching what I was eating and I lost 26 pounds. I've been indulging a little when it comes to food over the holiday season, so I'm sure that that number is a little diminished right now, but you only live once, right? And this is a start, a good start. I also quit smoking about a month ago. It's still early days but I have a feeling that this will stick this time. I've unsuccessfully quit once in the past but my willpower has undergone quite the transformation this past year and I know that this time will be different.

Even though I accomplished some goals in 2011, I like to make new goals for myself every year. I like to always be changing and growing and striving towards new things, and I enjoy writing down my new goals and looking back at them at the end of the year. Therefore, in no particular order, here are my goals for 2012:

1. Make Blogging Fun Again
I got into a blogging slump in 2011, and it was a big one. I got overwhelmed with reviews and schedules and feeling obligated to read things, and my blogging suffered as a result. Luckily in the latter portion of 2011 I seemed to find my blogging mojo again and my goal is to keep blogging fun throughout 2012. I have about 10 reviews from 2011 that still need to be written and then I plan on choosing books to review based solely on the fact that I am excited to read them. So many of my favourite authors are coming out with new releases in 2012 (Allison Winn Scotch, Sarah Pekkanen, Emily Giffin, Jen Lancaster, Sophie Kinsella and Catherine McKenzie, just to name a few!), and I have lots of exciting books on my TBR shelves (plus I still love discovering new-to-me authors) so I will certainly have lots to read and blog about! My goal is to not get bogged down with the details in 2012 and to just blog because I truly love doing so.

2. Cook Nutritious Meals for My Family
I am not a great cook. I'm not a horrible cook either, I'm just not creative in the kitchen. I cook meals for my family on a daily basis but they are certainly not as healthy as I would like them to be. My goal for 2012 is to try new things in the kitchen, and with the help of some cookbooks (one of which I bought yesterday and will be reviewing next week- it is FANTASTIC!). I would like to know that I am feeding my family the healthiest versions of our favourites. I know that it will require more prep work and planning, but I'm up for the challenge.

3. Continue With My Exercise
I don't know about you, but I truly hate exercising. I would rather be reading than sweating and huffing and puffing. However, I've learned in the past year that if I'm exercising regularly, I feel better and I lose weight more quickly. The hubby and I bought ourselves a used Bowflex for Christmas and my goal is to learn how to use it properly and then incorporate it into my existing exercise routine.

4. Find Balance in My Life
Number 4 is a biggie. I will continue to seek balance in 2012. As a wife and a mother and an employee I will strive to find balance between the needs of my family, the needs of my body, and the needs of myself. I will continue to try to find that magic balance between blogging and reading and exercising and cooking and working and cleaning and spending time with my kids and spending time with my hubby. Whew! I'm tired just typing all of that, but I won't quit trying.

I look forward to looking back on these at the beginning of 2013 and seeing how far I've come! Happy 2012 to everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Those resolutions are ones I also plan, expecially the exercise. Good luck with them in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give you a lot of credit losing all that weight and keeping it off. When you get over 50, it seems nearly impossible to lose (:

    Hope 2012 is a wonderful year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the weight loss and on incorporating exercise - well done! I have heard the people generally try to quit more than once so the fact that you were not successful with that before doesn't mean you won't be successful with it this time - best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your weight loss and good luck with the no smoking thing. I know from experience that both can be hard. You can do it!!!

    I hate exercise, too. It's something I'm trying to do more of.

    Have a wonderful new year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the weight loss and quitting smoking! Those are big steps! I ate way too much over the holidays so I've started exercising more and I hope that will hold for the year! I also want to work on my meal cooking - I'm the same as you. I'm not a fantastic cook, but I can get my family fed. I definitely want to work on that this year.

    ReplyDelete