Sunday, November 22, 2009

Mailbox Monday


Mailbox Monday is hosted by Marcia over at The Printed Page. Each week we share which books found their ways into our mailboxes (and our TBR piles!) last week. I had a pretty great week in new books last week. Here's what joined my books that are waiting to be read:

"What is it about the number seven that has such a hold on us? Why are there seven deadly sins? Seven days of the week? Seven wonders of the world, seven colors of the spectrum, seven ages of man, and seven sister colleges? Why can we hold seven numbers or words in our working memory--but no more? Author Jackie Leo explores everything about this mystical, magical, useful, and fun number in her new book." (Thanks to the Hachette Book Group for this review copy).


"Tamara Goodwin has always got everything she′s ever wanted. Born into a family of wealth, she grew up in a mansion with its own private beach, a wardrobe full of designer clothes, a large four poster bed complete with a luxurious bathroom en-suite. She′s always lived in the here and now, never giving a second thought to tomorrow.

But then suddenly her dad is gone and life for Tamara and her mother changes forever. Left with a mountain of debt, they have no choice but to sell everything they own and move to the country to live with Tamara′s Uncle and Aunt. Nestled next to Kilsaney Castle, their gate house is a world away from Tamara′s childhood. With her mother shut away with grief, and her aunt busy tending to her, Tamara is lonely and bored and longs to return to Dublin.

When a travelling library passes through Kilsaney Demesne, Tamara is intrigued. She needs a distraction. Her eyes rest on a mysterious large leather bound tome locked with a gold clasp and padlock. With some help, Tamara finally manages to open the book. What she discovers within the pages takes her breath away and shakes her world to its core.

Told in Cecelia′s imitable style, THE BOOK OF TOMORROW is a mesmerising and magical story for this spring." (Thanks to HarperCollins Canada for this review copy).

Last Thursday was my birthday so my wonderful hubby (knowing the way to my heart) sent me out sans kids to pick myself out a book or two for a birthday present. After indulging myself in the absolute beauty which is a bookstore, I picked out two titles to take home:

Once in a Lifetime by Cathy Kelly

Filthy Rich by Wendy Holden

Finally, last night my sister-in-law, Mandy, passed on her much-loved copy of My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. She insists that I read it, and because I trust her good taste, I will, and soon!

That's it for me for this week! What was in your mailbox last week?

3 comments:

  1. You have a SIL named Mandy, cool! :-) Hope you have a great Thanksgiving! Wait, do Canadians celebrate Thanskgiving?! Anyway, keep up the great reviews and have a wonderful upcoming weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great group of books! Keep some tissues handy when reading My Sister's Keeper. :)

    ReplyDelete