Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Review: "Best Friends Forever" Jennifer Weiner


Addie Downs is living a solitary life in her childhood home (her parents have both passed away). She works from home, shops from home, and occasionally ventures from home for first dates with men that she's met online. She believes herself to be relatively happy, in the scheme of things, but then her larger-than-life best friend from childhood shows up on her doorstep. Valerie Adler is now a weathergirl on TV with hopes to become a news anchor one day. When she shows up on Addie's doorstep after many years of not seeing her best friend, it is to seek help from her reliable pal. Valerie has attended her high school reuinion and has exacted some revenge on a former classmate who wronged her. Valerie's not sure if the classmate is fine or not, but she knows that she needs Addie's help to weather her latest crisis.

Although this wasn't my favourite Jennifer Weiner novel (my favourites are "Good in Bed" and "Certain Girls"), I did enjoy "Best Friends Forever". I enjoyed the dynamics between the former best friends- the two were so opposite, and they had very different upbringings, yet there is the past which holds them together. I liked that they learned to become friends again despite the fact that a lot of things have changed since they saw eachother last. I think that the fact that the women were so very different allowed them to play off of eachother- where one was weak, the other was strong. I especially liked the happy ending- what's good chick lit without a happy ending?

All in all, I would highly recommend this to any chick-lit fan such as myself. It contained much of Jennifer Weiner's usual charm and it was such an enjoyable read- I found it hard to put down. Weiner fan's will not be disappointed by her latest.

No comments:

Post a Comment