Wednesday, March 4, 2009

"You: The Owner's Manual" Michael F. Roizen and Mehmet C. Oz


After finishing two books over the weekend, I finally have time to blog about them. And blog I will! "You: The Owner's Manual (Updated and Expanded Edition)" is a big book. Like huge! I honestly thought that it would take me the better part of the week to get through, considering that I don't have a lot of time to read through the week, but I was actually finished in about two days!


Essentially this book is based around the concept of "Real Age", meaning that you can be 50 years old, but by doing the right things to your body, your body could be that of a 40 year old! "You: The Owner's Manual" offers up information, tips, and suggestions to help you live as young as you feel. Each chapter concentrates on informing the reader about a different part or function of their body, with tips and suggestions at the end as to what you can eat and do to keep your body healthy. This book is packed with interesting information (I kept interrupting Jay to read him parts of the book. Did you know that only 1% of the gas that your body emits actually smells??? Hmmm.....), as well as helpful suggestions. According to the book, the most important things that you can do for your body is to quit smoking if you are a smoker (it adds years to your life!), exercise daily, even if the only thing that you do is walk for a half an hour, take vitamins and supplements to keep your body's levels up, and eat the right foods. Follow their advice and you'll add years to your life and take years off of your Real Age.


I've already started to take some of the advice offered in this book in the hopes of keeping healthy and prolonging my own life. The advice given is so easy to follow that anyone can do it. Although I borrowed this book from my library I have plans to purchase my own copy; reading it once is a great start but this is a book that is handy to have on hand for future reference. There is so much useful information contained within the pages that it would be nice to be able to review it once in a while. Hopefully with the help of this book I will be the healthiest me that I can be! You can read the first part of this book here using HarperCollins' new "Browse Inside" feature.


This is my fourth entry into the Warm Up for Winter Reading Challenge.

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I have a copy sitting in my to-be-read pile. I'll have to bump it up a bit. ;)

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete