Tuesday, March 4, 2008

"A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini

Another haunting yet compelling story from the author of “The Kite Runner”. Hosseini follows up his first novel, which was notably void of women, with a story based around two women and their lives. We follow Miriam and Laila as they marry, endure the war, and live through various other hardships that result from their sex and country of birth (Afghanistan).

What I loved about this novel is that Hosseini was born in Afghanistan himself, so I feel that he is revealing to his readers a very real side of life there. This book dealt with issues that have plagued, and still continue to affect, the women who live there; when he described these injustices, I felt like I was getting a first-hand, realistic view of what life can be like there. Sometimes I’ll read a novel where the author is writing about a place or an issue that he has not experienced firsthand. Although these authors are sure to research their subjects very well I feel like Hosseini has captured the rawness of the situation through first-hand experience.

This book was moving and touching. It was surprising and satisfying. There are parts that made me gasp with disbelief at the situation being described. I would highly recommend this book to other readers, especially those interested in world issues and other cultures as I am. Hosseini has created an excellent follow-up to his bestselling debut novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment