Friday, February 22, 2008

"The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini

I was at first hesitant to read this novel. Generally, as far as my reading goes, I like to read the road less travelled. I don't like reading the top ten list bestsellers as much as I like reading those hidden gems. However, I had heard so many good things about this novel that I thought it couldn't hurt to give it a try and form my own opinions.

For once, a book lived up to its hype. This book was compelling and beautiful, haunting and dark. It was human nature at its best and its worst simultaneously. I read it in less than a week, because I couldn't put it down. The characters were masterfully created; the son who is trying desperately to earn his father's love, the servant who offers only love and devotion in the face of adversity. Not only were the characters created so well, but the setting was masterful as well. I could imagine being in all of the places described to the reader, and it did give me a whole different perspective on life in the Middle East. This perspective is what I feel was missing in "We Are Now Beginning Our Descent" (see previous post).

I can't say too much more about this book without giving away the majority of the plot line, but I can say that this novel was about making amends for sins in the past. The theme of redemption was carried throughout the novel, all the way to the satisfying conclusion. I would recommend this book a thousand times over, and I can't wait to read Hosseini's next novel, "A Thousand Splendid Suns".

I give this one 4 1/2 stars out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment