Saturday, April 3, 2010

Read, Remember, Recommend Fiction Reading Challenge Sign-Up Post


I thought that I had signed up for all of the challenges that I would participate in for this year, but I was wrong! Bibliobabe's new Read, Remember, Recommend Fiction Reading Challenge caught my eye, and since I received a review copy of this book, I'm ready to get at it! This challenge is a year-long challenge and runs from April 1, 2010 until April 1, 2011.

Details:

- Check out all the amazing books (thousands!) mentioned in Read, Remember, Recommend and plan your attack. Books do not need to be decided upon in advance. All books must be mentioned in the journal lists.
- Write a challenge sign-up post on your blog. In that post provide a link to the Read, Remember, Recommend Fiction Reading Challenge post. Please feel free to use the Read, Remember, Recommend Fiction Reading Challenge button in your post. If you do not have a blog, introduce yourself in a comment below.
- Add your name and the direct link to the sign-up post in the Mister Linky list below.
- Each time you read and review a book as part of this challenge, share this with other challenge participants by adding a direct link to your book review to the list in a comment at this post. If you do not have a blog, leave your review as a comment.

Rules:

- Read as many books from the Read, Remember, Recommend reading journal as you can in one year. Books read before April 1st, 2010 do not count. Overlaps with other challenges (including the Read, Remember, Recommend Teen Reading Challenge) are acceptable – and encouraged!
-Rereading doesn’t count – have fun exploring new authors, awards and books!
-Audio, print, and e-books are all acceptable.
-You can change your commitment level at anytime.

Levels:
- Notable Newbie – 5 books
- Armchair Librarian – 10 books
- The Library of Congress Calls Me Daddy – 20 books
- A Book Intervention is Needed – 30 books

There are some fabulous prizes to be won if you participate in this challenge, including the Grand Prize of an EReader of your choice. The first prize is a "Reading is Sexy" messenger bag filled with 5 books from the Read, Remember, Recommend journal, and second prize is a $20 gift card to the bookstore of your choice!
 
For now I'm going to aim for "Notable Newbie" status, as there are at least five books in the journal that have caught my eye. Considering that this challenge runs over the period of a year, I may upgrade to "Armchair Librarian", but we'll have to see how that goes. I will be listing my selections on this post as I choose them, but here are a few early contenders:
 
1. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows (can you believe that I haven't read this one yet?)
2. Mrs. Kimble by Jennifer Haigh (I have this one in my TBR pile, making it a no brainer)
3. A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews
4. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
5. Everything Changes by Jonathan Tropper

Edited to add:

6. The Girls by Lori Lansens (Already in my TBR)
7. Varieties of Disturbance by Lydia Davis (Already in my TBR)
8. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
9. The Year of Fog by Michelle Richmond

I scoured my TBR shelves and found two more that I already have waiting to be read. Looks like I'll be aiming for "Armchair Librarian" anyways!

3 comments:

  1. I'm doing this challenge too and I'm really excited about it. I'm reading Velva Jean Learns to Drive for our county's Amazing Read and it counts for this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I signed up for this challenge also. First I am going to read the titles that are already in my room and then read those listed in the Int'l IMPAC Dublin Literary Award. I am going to order the teen journal for my daughter and she wants to join the challenge as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I just signed up for this challenge too. It's so exciting!

    Ooh you have just read Catcher in the Rye too? Have you reviewed it yet? I just finished the book too and here is my review. It's certainly a very very interesting book. Nothing like I've ever read! :)

    Have fun with the challenge!

    ReplyDelete