Thursday, August 27, 2009

My Favourite Reads- August 27, 2009


Alyce over at At Home With Books is hosting a fabulous meme: "My Favourite Books". It's as simple as blogging about a favourite book, whether it be from your childhood or from now. I missed last week (Sorry! It was a crazy week!), but I'm back this week with a very recent favourite, "This is How" by M.J. Hyland.



From the Publisher's Website:


M. J. Hyland is the multi-award-winning and Man Booker–shortlisted author of Carry Me Down. Her third novel, This Is How, is a psychologically probing and deeply moving account of a perpetual outsider longing to find his niche. When Patrick Oxtoby’s fiancĂ©e breaks off their engagement, he leaves home and moves to a remote seaside village. In spite of his hopes for a new and better life, Patrick struggles to fit in and make the right impression. Certain that his new friends are conspiring against him, and with his already fragile personality further fractured, he takes a course of action that permanently alters his life.

This Is How is a mesmerizing and meticulously drawn portrait of a man whose unease in the world leads to his tragic undoing. With breathtaking wisdom and astute insight into the human mind, Hyland’s latest is a masterpiece that arouses horror and sympathy in equal measure.



Why I Chose This Book:

I only recently reviewed this one, yet it has wiggled its way on to my "favourites" shelf. I look forward to reading some books more than others. This book, before I picked it up, was kind of a "middle" book for me. It sounded interesting, yet I wasn't anticipating that it would be one of those books that stayed with me long after the last page was read. What I loved about this book is that I was completely wrong. It was fascinating yet unexpected at the same time. I found that once I got into the story, it was impossible to put down (I read it in our truck on our way to my nephew's birthday party. My husband said that I was being anti-social. I just said that I was glad that I wasn't the one driving :)).


I'm not sure if this book will get a ton of publicity, but I feel that this is an unmissable book for fiction lovers. It was so well written, and it will stick with you long after you're done reading it. I think that it will especially appeal to people who loved "The Hour I First Believed" by Wally Lamb.

5 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this book or author before - I'm going to have to take a closer look at this book. I've heard great things about Wally Lamb's book, but haven't had the chance to read it either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great recommendation - a book you didn't expect to stun you is now a favorite! I shall have to check it out. Thanks for the heads-up!

    My pick for the week is L.M. Montgomery's Magic for Marigold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love a book that I haven't heard of before. It's like finding a little hidden treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see someone else's opinion on this book. Hyland is certainly a good writer. Thanks for visiting Fresh Ink Books and signing up as a follower, I appreciate it. I have bookmarked your blog (my reader is full) and will visit regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last comment was me, didn't notice my son was signed in before I made the comment. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete