Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Is it time for the kids to go back to school yet????


Am I the only one who's counting the days until the kids are back to school? (It's 12 by my count). I feel like the world's worst mother, but I think that I cannot handle one more day of summer vacation. After my maternity leave expired with my youngest son, I decided not to return to work full-time, but to work part-time instead so that I could stay home with the boys. I applied at a local school-bus company, got the job, and now I drive a school bus for my son's school. While I love the fact that I'm home with them, and that I have the priviledge of being home with them all of the time, right now they are DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!

It seems like from the time they get up in the morning, until they go to bed at night, they fight. And whine. And cry. And get into things. And make messes. They fight over who gets to watch their TV shows. They fight over who gets which pillow. They fight over which toy they are going to play with (it's not like they have HUNDREDS to choose from or anything). They fight over which breakfast cereal belongs to whom. Seriously. And in the past two days my two-year-old has done two things, both of which have prompted calls to Telehealth Ontario (who also must think that I am the world's worst parent). On Monday my kids were helping me to clean crayon/pencil/pencil crayon marks off of the wall. My youngest son wasn't helping, but he was hanging out with us. My four-year-old got the fabulous idea to "clean his brother's face" with the magic eraser, which resulted in chemical burns and a screaming little boy. It was my fault- I just didn't think about all of the chemicals in those things, and I didn't really think about the fact that kids shouldn't be using them. Lesson learned. A painful lesson learned. It gets better. Yesterday, while I was trying to clean the kitchen after lunch, my two-year-old decided to take off his diaper and poop on the bathroom floor. Then he decided to clean up the (runny) poop with toilet paper, which he then promptly used to clog the bathroom sink. With poop. And toilet paper. When I found out what was happening, I went to the bathroom. My two-year-old saw me and tried to run away, tripped on the riser on the floor, and bit both the inside and the outside of his bottom lip. Another call to the wonderful nurses at Telehealth Ontario (they are soooo nice, even to frantic mothers such as myself). After all of this, I just sat on the floor and cried. My cup overflows. Luckily my little guy is pretty hearty, and despite the bright red skin on his face, he's healing up well. And it's not stopping him from fighting with his brothers.

So, I'm really ready for back-to-school. Come on, structured school days! Bring it on, routine and order! My middle son starts JK this year, so I'll be down to one son every other day. I know that I'll cry on his first day of school, but on the tail end of that will be a little bit of relief. Grocery shopping with one child instead of three? Bliss! So, fellow moms out there, on the first day of school I'll raise my glass to you in a toast. And that glass will be filled with something alcoholic if I have anything to say about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment