Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein

I had the opportunity to review another book from Harper-Collins Canada ahead of publication, "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. I have to admit that I didn't know if I would like it or not because it is written from the perspective of a dog, Enzo. I've read books before written from the point of view of an animal, and I've found most of them to be cliche. However this book surprised me, and I really enjoyed it. Enzo, the dog, comes across as being loyal and intelligent. He believes strongly that, although he is a dog, when he dies his soul is ready to be re-incarnated as a human, and that his life as a dog is preparing him for that. He is ready.

The main plot line of this book follows the life of a race car driver as he falls in love, marries, and has a child. It follows him as his wife dies, and a nasty custody battle for his daughter ensues between him and his wife's parents. This book managed to be funny and touching, sad yet joyful. Parts of it made me laugh, parts of it made my eyes well up with tears. The conclusion is happy and emotional, and I'm very glad that I had the opportunity to read this book. It's not something that I would have initially picked up off of a bookshelf, but definitely something I'm glad I had the chance to read.

It had a surprising spiritual side, there was lots in it about re-incarnation and past/future lives. There were also some very intelligent observations about life, and many fitting metaphors about life and racing. This book is scheduled to come out in May, make a point to read it!

1 comment: