Thursday, July 24, 2014

Review: "Best Supporting Role" by Sue Margolis

It's an unpleasant coincidence that Sarah Green's husband dies shortly after she finds out about his out-of-control gambling problem and decides to divorce him. Not only does she find herself a suddenly single mother, but she has to deal with his outstanding debt and her unresolved feelings for her late husband as well.

When Sarah's favourite aunt dies and leaves Sarah her once thriving but currently struggling lingerie store, she finds her suppressed love for fashion rising once again to the surface. Despite objections from her friends and family Sarah decides to make a go of running the shop herself, even in the face of the risk to her financial well-being.

As Sarah struggles with her new venture, her feelings about her late husband, and her new feelings for a very attractive man, she finds that sometimes in life you do have to take risks in order to have your own happy ending.

Best Supporting Role is the first book by Sue Margolis that I have read, but it wont be the last! My friend Melissa A. over at Chick Lit Central has been raving about her ever since we began e-mailing each other a few years ago, and I've been meaning to pick up one of her books for a while! Best Supporting Role did not disappoint. Our main character Sarah Green is endearing and she's easy to relate to so I'm sure that I won't be the only reader who connects with her in some way. I appreciated her perseverance in spite of the difficulties that life throws her way and it shows us that women can kick butt in ways that are unexpected!

The book was an interesting reflection on risks. Margolis examines risk-taking from several different perspectives, and I appreciated that secondary theme. I definitely understood what the author was getting at- it's important for us to take risks in life, even if they don't pay off because we could possibly learn something, although there has to be a limit to how much you will risk.

I was happy to have the opportunity to read Best Supporting Role. I enjoyed the stories of the main characters as well as the secondary ones, and I especially enjoyed watching Sarah's relationship with her mother develop and grow. This book will make a great vacation read! It's quick and light yet satisfying at the same time! My thanks to the publisher for providing me with a copy for review.

2 comments:

  1. This certainly sounds like a great summer read. Love strong heroines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. Thanks for the shout-out! Has Sue seen this yet? I'm glad to share it with her otherwise. :)

    ReplyDelete