Monday, September 9, 2013

Review: "The Baby Diaries" by Sam Binnie

Kiki is appalled to find out that she got knocked up by new husband Thom on their honeymoon. It's not that they weren't planning on having a baby at some point, but it's such a cliché to get pregnant on your honeymoon! Since Kiki also recently got a promotion and Thom recently began his new job as a teacher the timing isn't the best but if there's one thing that Kiki is used to it's things not going according to her plan, so she begins adjusting to the news.

As Kiki begins attending doctor's appointments, dealing with cravings and mood swings and breaking the news to friends and family, the impending arrival begins to become real. As she researches daycare costs, the impending arrival seems astronomically expensive! Before they know it Kiki is due any day and life as they know it is about to change forever.

I loved the first book in this series, The Wedding Diaries (my review) and I loved this one even more! Author Sam Binnie is truly one of the funniest authors that I have ever read and I laughed my way through this one, often out loud to the surprise (and embarrassment!) of those around me. I just couldn't help it, Kiki's madcap adventures were fantastic and hilarious!

I also enjoyed Binnie's take on parenthood and pregnancy and how bizarre these life events can sometimes be. Some books aim to demonstrate how miraculous parenthood can be, which it is, but Binnie highlights all those unexpected moments tied to becoming a parent and it was a refreshing view that I could easily relate to and laugh along with.

I just can't recommend The Baby Diaries enough. If there are children in your life in some way, shape or form, you will enjoy this book, I guarantee it! I can't wait to see what Binnie comes up with next and I sincerely hope that there will be another book about Kiki and Thom in the future! My thanks to the publisher for providing me a copy for review.

No comments:

Post a Comment