Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Review: "One Night Only" by Sue Welfare

Helen Redford, former soap star, hasn't worked in the spotlight for quite some time but still remains popular among those who remember her work. When the television show Roots offers her the opportunity to appear on their program her agent tells her that she would be ridiculous not to do it. Since Roots uncovers secrets from the subject's past on national television Helen is reluctant at first but becomes convinced that she should do the show when her boyfriend points out that she knows all of her own skeletons already!

Hoping to find out where her mother has been since she disappeared when Helen was eight years old, she is disappointed when she discovers that the best that Roots has come up with is a love child who isn't really hers. However, Helen's return to her hometown does come with some unexpected perks. Helen is able to meet up with some old friends and some ex-friends and she is able to finally put her parts of her past to rest.

I loved Sue Welfare's book The Surprise Party so I was a little disappointed to find out that I didn't like One Night Only quite as much. My main complaint is that Helen was just too darn perfect! While her past is riddled with secrets and heartbreak, she just seemed so even-tempered throughout it all. I think that if I would have had a past like hers it would have shaped my personality more. Helen seems to glide through life's challenges always knowing exactly what to do in every situation so while I did like her, I did not feel any kind of connection to her.

That being said, I did really enjoy the ending. By the time I got to the last quarter or so of the book I felt quite a bit more invested in the character of Helen than I did at the beginning and I was anxious to find out what was going to happen to her. One Night Only is very well-written and the story flowed comfortably from one event to the next.

Although this was not my favourite book by Sue Welfare I did enjoy it in the end and am excited to see what she comes up with next! My thanks to the publisher for providing me with this review copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment