Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Review: "Momfriends" by Ariella Papa

After suffering through infertility, Ruth finally has the baby that she always wanted. Unfortunately things now are not at all like the baby fantasies that she had while trying to get pregnant. She is overwhelmed by the new little creature that she is completely responsible for and she is at the end of her rope when a knock on the door changes everything.

Kirsten is an artist, a mom of three, and a dreamer. She and her boyfriend, fellow artist David, have always been very happy, but when she stumbles across something late one night, her whole world changes.

Claudia has always been focused and driven in her personal life and being a parent hasn't changed her personality at all. She is determined to get her twins into the right preschool and eventually Harvard, and everything is going according to plan. However a flirtation with a colleague changes everything, and Claudia finds herself acting in a way that is most certainly not fitting in with her master plan.

These three women come together thanks to the mysterious bond of motherhood and find out more about one another than they ever thought possible.

I found reading Momfriends to be an enjoyable experience. The book is about the strange bonds that we form when we become parents, and how these experiences can lead us to become friends with people who couldn't be more different than ourselves. I'm lucky enough to have "momfriends" of my own, women who I have bonded with over the years about parenting and marriage and motherhood so I found myself relating to a lot of the story. In fact, that's one of the things that will make this book appeal to a wide variety of female readers. No matter what kind of parent you are, and despite your individual parenting style, you will be able to relate to one of these characters because they are so different from one another.

The story and dialogue flow well, the characters are likable, and the plot is easy to relate to, making Momfriends easy for me to recommend to mothers who enjoy women's fiction. My thanks to the author for providing me with this copy for review.

1 comment:

  1. O I bet I would really dig this now that I'm a new mommy. I need some momfriends.

    You bring up an interesting point, so momfriends are sometimes totally different than us? Fascinating. I look forward to seeing what you mean.

    ReplyDelete