Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Review: "Rumor Has It" by Jill Mansell

Tilly Cole's boyfriend Gavin has packed up and left her. Instead of dissolving into a heap on the couch, devouring ice cream and crying her heart out, she doesn't seem to be that upset. Really, the only thing that she's really upset about is that fact that she can no longer afford her apartment without Gavin's contribution. Instead of worrying herself about it, she goes and visits her best friend Erin, who lives in Roxborough and runs an upmarket dress exchange. On a whim Tilly answers a help wanted ad for a "Girl Friday" and meets Max and his spunky daughter Lou. They love her and hire her on the spot. Everything is coming up roses for Tilly- she has a new job, working and living in a nice home, and she's living close to her best friend. That is, until Jack Lucas comes onto the scene. Jack is a great-looking single man with a tragic history, and every woman in Roxborough wants to be with him. According to the rumors, everyone in Roxborough has been with him. Tilly is wildly and unavoidably attracted to him, but she decides that she doesn't want to become just another notch on his bedpost and starts avoiding him at all costs. But can the rumors about Jack really be believed?

It's no secret that I adore Jill Mansell- it was one of her books that got me hooked on British chick lit in the first place (and yes, I still have that book)! Rumor Has It is no exception- like all of her other books, I loved it. The book is a combination of romance and humour, with no shortage of drama and complications. The pace is effortless- this is one of those books that you want to start reading only when you have hours to devote to it, because you won't want to put it down.

I loved the characters in this one, as well as the various storylines. Tilly is perfect as the woman who has lost her boyfriend and, quite frankly, seems happy about it. Max and Lou, her new employers, are a lot of fun. There's one scene in the book where Lou is getting ready to leave for her first school dance and the car breaks down. Lou is absolutely panicked, and you can't help but feel that if she misses this dance it will mean the end of her world as she knows it. Erin, Tilly's best friend, doesn't just blend into Tilly's background but has her own story and dilemmas. And Jack- what can I say about Jack? I swear I started falling for him just a little myself while I was reading this one.

Jill Mansell has written a book that does her genre proud. It's smart, it's funny, and I couldn't put it down. Thank-you to Danielle at Sourcebooks for this review copy, and be sure to come back tomorrow- I'll be doing an interview with Jill Mansell and I'll be giving away two copies of Rumor Has It!

Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5
Recommended to: Anyone who loves smart and sassy chick lit with a British twist
Challenges: 2010 100+ Reading Challenge, 2010 Chick Lit Challenge

2 comments:

  1. Oh, as you know, I just loved this one, too! I'm such a Jill Mansell fan and will definitely be getting Nadia Knows Best soon. Enjoyed your interview with Jill, too -- she seems so funny and down to earth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Jill Mansell! I'm reading this one right now and loving it so far.

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete