Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What in the world will I cook for dinner?

This is the question that haunts my waking hours. "What in the world will I cook for dinner?" It's not easy to please myself, my husband, and three little boys ranging in age from 18 months to 8 years. I certainly don't have 3 hours to prepare dinner, and then lovingly coax it into being. I'm not going to run out to the store and hunt for 30 different exotic ingredients that I will never use again. So.....what...do I....make....for dinner???

Luckily, I recently received the fall issue of Kraft Canada's "What's Cooking" magazine. (If you would like to sign up for a free subscription, visit www.kraftcanada.com/join . I would highly recommend it- and I'm not being compensated to say that for anyone who's wondering!) It had a whole bunch of different meal ideas for busy moms, moms who want to cook something that their kids will actually eat and who don't want to spend a lot of time doing so. We tried this one the other night and we enjoyed it so much that we will be adding it to our rotation of pasta dinners. I thought that I would share it with you guys for in case anyone else is attempting to answer that age old question.

Cheesy Chicken and Salsa Skillet

Ingredients:
2 cups multigrain penne pasta, uncooked
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
1 1/4 cups salsa (we used medium for a little zing)
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 large green pepper, cut into short thin strips
1 cup Kraft Tex Mex Shredded Cheese (I just used the cheese that I already had in the house)

Directions:
Cook past as directed on package.
Meanwhile, heat large nonstick skillet sprayed with cooking spray on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 2 min. Stir in salsa, corn, and peppers. Bring to a boil. Simmer on medium-low heat 10 min. or until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally.
Drain pasta, add to chicken mixture. Mix lightly. Sprinkle with cheese. Remove from heat, cover. Let stand 1 min. or until cheese is melted.

So, there you have it. Nothing to it. This was quick, easy, and tasty; my favourite way to cook a meal!!! We did double the recipe to feed everyone, and it worked just as well. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment